Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Strawberry Agua Fresca



I tell you what...ever since moving to Washington, I have been immersed in Mexican culture.  We live in a predominantly agricultural area, and as that goes there are many migrant workers here.  We have had some of the best food around here I have ever had. One of the farming communities around  has a huge Cinco de Mayo festival every year which we have loved attending.  There, we have had some legit enchiladas, churros, tamarindo apples, and some amazing tacos.  One of my favorite things I discovered in going to this festival is fantastic agua fresca.  Basically this is infused fruit water with a little sugar.  So, so good!  I'd rather have this than a soda any day.  This was my first attempt at this, and I am so excited to try some other varieties!

Strawberry Agua Fresca


2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
½ cup granulated sugar
4 cups water
Sliced strawberries for garnish, optional

In a medium sized bowl, mash your strawberries, sugar and about a half cup of water, cover and place in your refrigerator.

After a couple of hours, take the strawberry mixture out of the refrigerator and blend.

Run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, keeping the resulting strawberry juice and discarding the pulp and seeds.

Add the remaining water to the strawberry juice, chill and serve with ice and sliced strawberries for garnish!

Recipe Source:  A Night Owl Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment