Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cornbread Sausage Stuffing



I was thinking about Thanksgiving the other day and realized I had never made my own stuffing (dressing to those of you that are purists ;)  So I thought it was time to do it...and I did.  Verdict...I can do this, it is easy!  It turned out moist and wonderful, and I will not be afraid to tackle this simple side dish again and again, and not only at Thanksgiving time.  

I loved the combination of sausage and apples, the stuffing we usually eat for the big day is void of any meat (which I love...don't get me wrong!), but this was super yummy for a change.  Enjoy!

Cornbread Sausage Stuffing

1 pound mild pork breakfast sausage
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup celery, diced
3/4 cup Granny Smith apple, diced (optional)
3/4 cup onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 cups cornbread cubes (be sure to use a savory cornbread)
1 cup chicken or veggie broth
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375°.

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the breakfast sausage until cooked through and crumbly. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate covered in paper towels to drain. Leave remaining grease in skillet.

Melt butter in skillet.  Add celery, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add in sausage, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.  Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine sausage mixture and cornbread cubes until well-mixed.

In a small bowl, whisk together the broth and eggs.  Pour the broth/egg mixture over the sausage/cornbread mixture and stir until cornbread has absorbed most of the liquid.  Pour into a greased baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until top is browned and crunchy.

Recipe Source:  Back To Her Roots

No comments:

Post a Comment