Monday, July 15, 2013

Peach and Blueberry Crumble

 Can I just say that I am a little baffled on the amount of money I have spent on fruit in the last week?!  We pitted and froze about 30 pounds of cherries, 18 pounds of blueberries, and I don't even know how many peaches...and I'm not done yet!!  Oh well, when I live in the setting I do, it's worth investing and having yummy fruit all year long without paying a crazy price!

This crumble is just what I was hoping it would be...the flavors combined so well and it totally fulfilled my craving for some cobbler.  Not to mention I got to use up some of my newly-purchased berries and peaches!  This is originally an Ina Garten recipe, and I have found that ALL of her baking recipes have been winners, this one included.  
 
Peach and Blueberry Crumble

2 lbs firm, ripe peaches (about 6 - 8 peaches)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
Crumble Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
6 Tbsp butter, cold and diced into cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Fill a large mixing bowl with ice water. Carefully drop peaches in boiling water and allow to boil 30 seconds - 1 minute, just until their skin easily peels off. Immediately transfer peaches to cold water. Peel peaches and slice into chunks or wedges. Place diced peaches in a large mixing bowl along with lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour and pinch of salt. Toss mixture to evenly coat. Fold in blueberries and pour mixture into an 8 by 8-inch baking dish (I used one a bit bigger, about a 7x11-inch and am glad I did...I think it might have bubbled over if I hadn't!) and allow to rest 5 minutes while preparing topping.

To prepare the topping:

In a food processor, combine 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, butter, and vanilla, and pulse mixture just until it appears moist. Press mixture into crumbles with your fingertips and sprinkle evenly over top of peach mixture (alternately you can do this in an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combining all topping ingredients and blending until butter resembles small peas, then rub with your fingertips until it's in crumbles and sprinkle over top. You could also do it in a mixing bowl just using your fingertips to blend). Bake in preheated oven 45 - 50 minutes, until tops are nicely browned. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream if desired.

Recipe Source: Cooking Classy


No comments:

Post a Comment