Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mediterranean Flatbreads

I am all about zucchini lately.  I have made a couple batches of Zucchini Nut Bread, had these Zucchini Sticks, ate them with my feta pork chop skillet, and one of my favorite meals, Copycat Spicy Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl with Rumbi Rice.  I was excited when I saw this recipe, though, because Mediterranean cuisine is my new favorite.  Especially since my favorite Mediterranean place is now thousands of miles away and I crave it constantly!

It is a great way to have a vegetarian lunch or dinner without feeling cheated of not having meat. The flavors rock, and I'm pretty sure these will make an appearance on my lunch rotation for myself a few times a week :)


  • Mediterranean Flatbreads

  • 1 package flatbread pitas (Mine were a little to thin, I'll look for thicker ones next time)
  • 1 tub of hummus
  • 1 bottle of roasted red peppers (you can find these by the pickles in your grocery store)
  • 1 bottle of artichoke hearts (also by the pickles)
  • 1 carton cherry tomatoes (left these out)
  • 2 to 3 small zucchinis
  • 1 container of crumbled goat cheese (or tomato and basil feta, or regular feta)
  • Cut the zucchini into bite size pieces and saute it in a fry pan with a tiny bit of oil, just until it begins to look cooked (you don't want it to get too soft). Then chop up the roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts into small pieces.
  • Take a flatbread pita and generously smother it with a layer of hummus (like you would pizza sauce). Top the hummus with the red peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini, tomatoes, and then sprinkle all over with goat cheese.
  • Place the pizzas on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler until the tops of the pizzas begin to get toasted. This only take a few minutes so watch it closely!
Recipe Source:  Favorite Family Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment