Monday, March 12, 2012

Kale Chips



In thinking about St. Patty's Day this week, I wanted to share a yummy green treat that is NOT sweet.  I am in the middle of a Biggest Loser competition, and am trying to limit my intake of junk as a whole.  The meals I eat are generally quite healthy, but in between those meals, I am a snacker.  I have been trying to be better about not doing so, but sometimes you just need a little something.


These kale chips are an amazing alternative to chips.  You can spice them up with many different flavors, and they are still crispy and fulfills my cravings for the tempting salty snack. So experiment with these, find your favorite flavors....I'd love to hear them :)


A few facts about the ingredients in this recipe...
Kale is full if antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory and packed with several vitamins. Olive oil is a healthy fat that helps with cholesterol and blood pressure and has many nutritional benefits and sea salt is alkalizing to the body and contains many essential minerals.  You can't go wrong!  


After looking at the many health benefits of kale, I plan on finding a lot more recipes to use it in!


Kale Chips



Buy 1-2 bunches of kale from the grocery store, local market or farmer's market and refrigerate until ready to use.


Wash the kale and dry it, if you have a salad spinner that would probably work great, otherwise pat dry.  Pull leaves of the stalks into chip sizes and place in large bowl.  Get your oil, salt & seasoning and pour or shake while in bowl and mix well with your hands.  Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Shake sheet and if the kale is crisp, place on a plate and enjoy!


Recipe Source: Keeper of the Home

No comments:

Post a Comment