Monday, January 24, 2011

Winter Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing

I'm not sure why this is called winter salad....the apples remind me of FALL, and the dressing is nice and refreshing, which screams SUMMER.  In any case, this salad was tasty!  I found this while scoping out See Jane in the Kitchen.  You must try :)  It reminds me of Panera's Summer Salad, just with different fruit.

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tsp diced green onion (or just onion)
1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup veg oil
1 Tbs poppy seeds
1 head Romain lettuce or a mixture of different kinds of lettuce (I used more lettuce, 1 didn't look like near enough, I used 2)
4 oz shredded Swiss cheese (I cut up some swiss cheese slices instead)
1 cup slivered almonds. (or you can use cashews if you want)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
1 apple-peeled, cored and diced
1 pear-peeled, cored and diced

1. In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt. Process until well blended. Add oil in slow steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix.

2. In a large serving bowl combine the lettuce, shredded Swiss cheese, almonds, dried cranberries, cubed apple and cubed pear. Toss to mix then pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment