Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baked Ziti


I've been trying to compile some "classic" recipes, those recipes that everyone has their own version of.  You know what I'm talking about, your classic roast, fettucine alfredo, chicken parmesean, potato soup, cheesecake, lasagna, chocolate chip cookies, all those kind of staples that everyone knows how to make, just having a slight variation.  This is one of those.  I found this recipe on See Jane in the Kitchen.  It caught my eye with the provolone and the sour cream, a little different than many other I had seen. The sour cream melts much better than the traditional ricotta cheese.

1 pound ziti
1 onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef (I used some italian sausage instead)
2 jars spaghetti sauce
6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I'm sure ricotta cheese would be great as well)
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Cook ziti until al dente, drain and set aside. Cook the ground beef with the onion and drain fat. Add spaghetti sauce and let simmer for at least 15 minutes. In a 9 x 13 pan, layer 1/2 the ziti, provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 the sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella, remaining sauce and top with parmesan cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment